In the event that a child is not collected by an authorised adult at the end of a session/day, the setting puts into place agreed procedures. These ensure the child is cared for safely by staff members within the setting who are known to the child. We will ensure the child receives a high standard of care in order to cause as little distress as possible.
We inform parents/carers of our procedures so that, if they are unavoidably delayed, they will be reassured that their children will be properly cared for.
Parents of children starting at the setting are asked to provide the following specific information which is recorded on our Registration Form:
- Home address and telephone number – if the parents do not have a telephone, and alternative number must be given.
- Place of work, address and telephone number (if applicable).
- Mobile telephone number (if applicable)
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers of adults who are authorised by the parents to collect their child from the setting, for example childminder or grandparent.
- Who has parental responsibility for the child. Information about any person who does not have legal access to the child.
On occasions when parents are aware that they will not be at home or in their usual place of work, they inform us in writing of how they can be contacted.
On occasions when the parents or the persons normally authorised to collect the child are not able to collect the child, they provide us written details of the person who will be collecting their child. We agree with parents that we will verify the person who is collecting their child with the agreed password the parents have given us.
Parents must inform us if the person due to collect their child is not able to do so, we can then make other arrangements with the parents to provide care for their child.
We inform parents that we will apply our Safeguarding procedures as set out in our Safeguarding Policy in the event that their children are not collected from the setting by an authorised adult within one hour after the setting has closed and the staff can no longer supervise the child on our premises.
If a child is not collected at the end of the session/day we follow the following procedures:
- The child’s file is checked for any information about changes to the normal collection routines.
- If no information is available, parents/carers are contacted at home or at work.
- If this is unsuccessful, the adults who are authorised by the parents to collect their child from the setting – and whose telephone numbers are recorded on the Registration Form – are contacted.
- All reasonable attempts are made to contact the parents or nominated carers.
- The child does not leave the premises with anyone other than those named on the registration Form.
- If no one collects the child after one hour and there is no one who can be contacted to collect the child, we apply the procedures for uncollected children.
- We contact our local authority children’s social services care team:
- The Multi Agency Support Hub 01234 718700 (Working Hours)
- Out of hours 0300 300 8123
The child stays at the setting in the care of two staff members until the child is safely collected either by the parents or by a social worker. Social Care will aim to find the parent or relative if they are unable to do so, the child will become looked after by the local authority.
Under no circumstances will staff go to look for the parent, nor do they take the child home with them. A full written report of the incident is recorded in the Safeguarding file. Depending on circumstances, we reserve the right to charge parents for the additional hours worked by our staff. Ofsted may need to be informed on 0300 123 1231.